Saturday, November 24, 2007

#7 Shopping Centre technology for Libraries

Last week I went shopping with my daughter to buy her a special dress for her graduation. I couldn't remember how to get to Portmans so we had a look at the directory. We were tanding in front of this new directory screen that I didn't know how to use. My daughter walked straight up to it and instinctively knew what to do. With a few quick touches of the screen she was able to find the shop we were looking for. The touch screen worked like a GPS system. It showed the location of the shop, your present location and gave directions on how to get there! I was most impressed. I immediately imagined how useful and applicable this technology would be for libraries especially large institutions. People would be able to find their way around the library better. It's a big improvement on the usual flat 2-D directory.

No comments: